Note: Board Meetings are held the second Monday of each month from 7-9pm at a location TBD.
Please contact a board member for the location each month.
Wappingers Youth Lacrosse Club, Inc.
1. The name of this Association shall be the Wappingers Youth Lacrosse Club, Inc., doing business as Wappingers Warriors Youth Lacrosse, hereafter referred to as “the Club”.
1. In an effort at clarification, the following definitions apply:
-Assistant Coach- individual appointed by a Head Coach, with approval of the Board of Directors, to assist in coaching duties as directed by said Head Coach.
-Board of Directors- a seven (7) member governing body that runs the Club. Made up of the President of the Club, the Vice President for Boys, the Vice President for Girls, the Director of Development for Boys, the Director of Development for Girls, the Treasurer, and the Secretary.
-Board of Directors Meeting- meeting held by the President of the Club where the Board of Directors attend, discuss, and vote on matters pertaining to the Club. Though members and Coaches may attend, they cannot vote.
-Coach- either a Head or an Assistant Coach. All Coaches are considered members of the Club, even if they do not have participating children.
-Dispute- any issues of conflict that cause a problem for Club members, Coaches,
referees, or the league.
-Head Coach- the individual appointed by the Board of Directors to manage and be
responsible for a team.
-League- Hudson Valley Chapter of US Lacrosse
-Member - the parents, players, and coaches holding membership in this Club.
-Writing- may be by first class mail, hand delivered, or by e-mail.
Purpose, Mission and Objective
1. The purpose, mission, and objective of the Club is to teach the fundamentals of lacrosse in a recreational setting by developing, teaching and encouraging the skills of the sport of lacrosse for all children, regardless of ability, between the grades of Kindergarten and 8th grade.
1. Open to any family with a child who is grade appropriate at time of registration of each year regardless of race, color, creed, religion, sexual orientation, or national origin.
1. Registration will be conducted at a time, place, and manner approved by the Board of Directors of the Club.
2. At registration, all potential and returning Club members may be required to present a birth certificate and/or current report card to the appropriate registrar.
1. Club fees will be assessed to each member on a yearly basis. These fees are intended to cover the expenses of the Club, which may include, but are not limited to, equipment/uniform costs, referee, league, tournament and field fees, and other expenses incurred by the Club.
2. Club member fees are due from each member at the time of registration. If a member is not paid in full at time of registration, the Board of Directors will decide on an individual basis if the member may still participate.
3. The refund policy for registration fees is a full refund of registration fee if requested prior to February 1 of the season. A one-half (1/2) refund of the registration fee will be issued if requested by March 1 of the current season, and there will be no refund after March 1 of the season.
4. The Board of Directors, at their discretion, may wave the above policy to grant a refund, or any portion thereof, due to extenuating circumstances.
5. Other fees, including but not limited to out of town registration costs and US lacrosse membership, may not be refunded.
6. The Board of Directors, prior to registration of each year, shall establish club membership fees for the league.
Team and Age Divisions
1. Pre-K - K boys division will participate in a clinic type setting with minimal games and/or scrimmages.
2. 1st/2nd grade boys.
3. 3rd/4th grade boys.
4. 5th/6th grade boys.
5. 7th/8th grade boys.
6. Pre-K - K girls division will participate in a clinic type setting with minimal games and/or scrimmages.
7. 1st/2nd grade girls
8. 3rd/4th grade girls
9. 5th/6th grade girls
10. 7th/8th grade girls
11. In the event that registration numbers necessitate two (or more) teams at any level, the method to determine placement will be decided by the Board of Directors.
12. In the event that there are not enough players to form a team at a certain grade level, consideration will be given to having said players joining a higher division.
13. Players may only play in a different division with the express consent of the Board of Directors after consulting with all affected coaches.
Board of Directors Members and Duties
1. The Board of Directors for the Club is a seven (7) member governing body that runs the Club. It handles all business of the club, including, but not limited to, website, registration, fees, uniforms, insurance, lawyers fees, player and coach code of conduct, by-laws, conflict resolution, governmental and league compliance, community relations, and celebrations.
2. The Members of the Board of Directors, and their responsibilities, are as follow:
a. President of the Board- Runs Board of Directors meetings following Roberts Rules of Order. Implements policies as determined by the Board.
b. Vice President for Boys- Represents the Boys Program. Responsible for the day to day operations of the Boys program, including, but not limited to the scheduling of games and make-up games, scheduling referees, notifying Coaches and members of Board of Directors decisions, certifying rosters for the League, receiving notices of suspensions, putting into effect any and all Board of Director decisions, being the Club’s representative with the League, acting as liaison with parents of players having difficulties with Coaches, representing their program on the Board of Directors and any other duties as authorized by the Board of Directors.
c. Vice President for Girls- Represents the Girls Program. Responsible for the day to day operations of the Girls program, including, but not limited to the scheduling of games and make-up games, scheduling referees, notifying Coaches and members of Board of Directors decisions, certifying rosters for the League, receiving notices of suspensions, putting into effect any and all Board of Director decisions, being the Club’s representative with the League, acting as liaison with parents of players having difficulties with Coaches, representing their program on the Board of Directors and any other duties as authorized by the Board of Directors.
d. Director of Development for Boys- Insures player and coaching development. Adheres to Club, League, and US Lacrosse guidelines. Provides opportunities for growth and learning for players, coaches, members, and the community.
e. Director of Development for Girls- Insures player and coaching development. Adheres to Club, League, and US Lacrosse guidelines. Provides opportunities for growth and learning for players, coaches, members, and the community.
f. Treasurer- Reports financial activity to the Board of Directors. Keeps separate budget lines for each program. Pays all bills for the Club at the direction of the President if said bill is under $250.00 and at the direction of the majority of the Board of Directors if over $250.00.
g. Secretary- Takes minutes at all Board meetings. Handles correspondence for the Board.
3. The Board of Directors can form standing or ad hoc subcommittees as they see fit. Membership on these committees shall be determined by the President. A member of the Board of Directors shall chair these committees and report back to the full Board of Directors.
4. Costs incurred by the Board of Directors on behalf of the whole Club will be borne out proportionally by the Boys and Girls Programs based on their percentage of participants in the Club.
Board of Directors Meetings
1. All meetings will be held in accordance with Roberts Rules of Order.
2. A majority of the Board of Directors must be present to form a quorum.
3. Notice of a meeting and a request for agenda items will be submitted to Members, Coaches, and the Board of Directors no less than one (1) week prior to the meeting.
4. Meetings are open to all Members and Coaches.
5. Though only Board Members may make motions, second, and vote, time must be set aside for comments from the audience. Time for comments may be regulated as the Board of Directors sees fit.
6. Minutes from the meeting shall be kept and posted to the Club website within two (2) weeks of the meeting.
7. The Board will have at least 6 meetings per year.
8. In addition to the mandatory meetings mentioned above, the President may call
additional Board of Directors meetings as he/she believes is appropriate.
9. The President of the Board of Directors will conduct all meetings, with any Board Member being empowered to make any motion, second and discussion of any topic related to the Club.
10. Each Board Member in attendance will have one (1) vote at a Board meeting.
11. All voting at meetings will be by voice vote unless the President requires a show of hands and an actual count. A motion will be considered passed by simple majority.
12. In lieu of a Board meeting, the President may make or accept motions on topics
related to the Club by e-mail and have a binding vote on said motions with a majority vote by the Board of Directors. All e-mail voting shall have the same impact as that of an actual voice vote, but will require that the President notify all Board Members of results, who voted, and how.
1. Any parent or guardian of a player in good standing and all Coaches may run for a Board of Director position.
2. The term of office for the Board of Directors shall be two years and shall run from the September 1st immediately following the election through August 31st of the second year.
3. Any parent or guardian of a player in good standing and all Coaches may vote in elections.
4. Each family is allowed one (1) vote in any election.
5. The manner of the election will be determined by the sitting Board of Directors.
Head Coaches Appointment, Duties and Responsibilities
1. The Board of Directors shall appoint Head Coaches to their respective teams for a period of one season.
2. The Board of Directors will determine the process for appointing Head Coaches.
3. Head Coaches shall have the right to appoint up to two (2) Assistant Coaches to
help in his or her coaching duties, pending approval of the Board of Directors.
4. All Head Coaches, and their Assistants, must pass a criminal background check and be registered members of US Lacrosse prior to their first practice.
5. Head Coaches will be responsible for following any and all policies approved by US Lacrosse, the League, and the Board of Directors.
6. Head coaches and their Assistants will be responsible to develop the skills and encourage each of their players in a positive manner.
7. Head Coaches shall play all members of their team with a meaningful amount of
playing time per game, regardless of ability, in order to foster the development of the players. Though discrepancies to playing time may exist from game to game due to situational play, every effort should be made to have relatively equal playing time throughout the season.
8. Head Coaches shall have the option to not play, or to limit playing time of,
team members who do not attend practice, are discipline problems, or most
importantly, are in game/practice situations where the safety and well-being of a child
is at risk. If a Head Coach exercises this option then he/she MUST speak to the
player and his/her parents explaining the basis for the decision and how it can be
resolved to the child’s benefit. This discussion shall be prior to the game in question whenever possible, or as soon thereafter as possible. If this decision is made for more
than one (1) game in a season, the Head Coach must notify the Board of Directors as to why more than one (1) game is necessary.
9. The Head Coach shall be responsible to supervise their players until picked up by a parent or guardian after a practice or game. Assistant Coaches may be delegated this
authority, but the responsibility remains with the Head Coach. Failure to follow this directive may result in immediate dismissal of the Coach by the Board of Directors. The safety of the children is paramount.
10. Head Coaches are responsible for the safekeeping of all equipment assigned to them each season and returning same to the Club.
11. Head Coaches shall promote sportsmanship among their Assistants, parents of their team members and their players. All Coaches are required to treat all players, referees, and other attendees of games in a respectful manner and to counsel players
exhibiting un-sportsmanlike behavior. Said counseling can be verbal or written, and can include removing the player from the game when appropriate.
12. Every Head Coach and Assistant Coach will abide by the Coaches Code of Conduct that is on the Club’s website. If a Coach violates any portion of the Coaches Code of Conduct, the President of the Board of Directors or his designee will handle it accordingly.
Changes or Amendments to By-Laws
1. In order to amend the By-Laws, a proposed change must be submitted in writing to the Board of Directors at least thirty days prior to a vote on the amendment.
2. If two-thirds (2/3) of the Board of Directors vote to approve of the amendment, a vote
by the membership will occur.
3. Upon two-thirds (2/3) approval by the membership that voted, the amendment will be considered passed.
4. Any amendment so approved will be posted to the Club website within two (2) weeks of passing.
Fighting and Ejections
1. It is the responsibility of each Head Coach to insure that his/her team acts in a sportsmanlike manner. Fighting will not be tolerated. Any player ejected by an
official for fighting in a game shall be suspended for the very next game. The
Head Coach shall make notification immediately to the President of the Club.
2. Any player ejected for leaving the bench area during an altercation shall similarly be suspended for the next game.
1. The Club Member and the Head Coach of the appropriate team shall first discuss any problem that a Club Member has with that Head Coach. Said discussion should occur no less than twenty-four (24) hours after the incident to allow for a “cooling off” period for all affected parties.
2. If a resolution cannot be reached by the Head Coach and the Club Member, then the
Club Member and/or Head Coach shall notify the Vice President for that program of the problem and what attempts were made to resolve the issue.
3. The Vice President for that program shall then attempt to mediate the problem.
4. If the Vice President for that program is unable to resolve the problem, then the Board of Directors shall hear the issues of both parties and shall resolve the issue. The Board of Director’s decision will be final.
Rules and Discipline
1. Sanctions will be imposed for any member of the Club and/or coaching staff for noncompliance with the by-laws or any other rule or policy established by the Board of Directors, League, or US Lacrosse. Sanctions could include, but are not limited to, ineligibility to play or coach in one (1) or more games, limited participation in Club activities, and/or dismissal from the Club.
2. Any member can file a complaint against any other member if they violated the Code of Conduct as set forth by the Board of Directors. The Code of Conduct is posted on the Club’s website.
3. In case of a dispute, a written complaint should be submitted to the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors shall investigate the complaint and make a determination.
4. The Board of Directors has full authority to request and secure appropriate documents and information to investigate protests.
5. If at any time a Member has violated a local, state or federal law the President must be notified without delay and, if necessary, the Police called.
1. A committee made up of 3 Club members shall meet on an annual basis to conduct a financial audit of the Club. This committee shall not include the Club President, Vice President for Girls, Vice President for Boys, or Treasurer.
1. If a Board member cannot fulfill his/her full term, the President will appoint a replacement to fill the remainder of said term.
2. In the event that the President cannot fulfill his/her full term, the sitting Board members will choose the President’s replacement from the remaining six Board members.
1. Notification of the ratification vote and an invitation to participate will be sent to all current members and Coaches.
2. The By-laws of the Club will be deemed ratified when approved by simple majority of those who participated in the vote.
3. By-laws will be posted on the Club website within two (2) weeks of ratification.